ECO-FRIENDLYSunset Harbour Yacht Club
South Beach’s Only 5-Star Marina Goes Green
Sunset Harbour Yacht Club Unveils Sustainable, Eco-Friendly Practices to Protect the Environment Miami, FL – Strung along two acres overlooking the beautiful waters of Biscayne Bay, Sunset Harbour Yacht Club (SHYC), South Beach’s only private, five-star yacht club, is setting an unprecedented benchmark for green, environmentally friendly marinas across the country. Management recently announced sustainable upgrades and new infrastructure designed to further prevent marine pollution and preserve surrounding wildlife.
As a designated Clean Marina by the State of Florida, SHYC has already taken a proactive approach to environmental stewardship by complying with a set of green (a.k.a clean) policies designed to protect Florida’s waterways. These measures address critical environmental issues such as sensitive habitat, waste management, storm water control, spill prevention and emergency preparedness.
Recently, SHYC has taken extraordinary and costly measures utilizing state-of-the-art technology to exceed current guidelines including:
- SHYC has contracted with a private firm to install a water quality monitoring device that can track water flow, sediment build up, chemical and biological factors and alert local agencies if there is a spill (oil, etc…) of any kind. In addition, local municipalities such as the U.S. Coast Guard and Homeland Security will benefit from the possibility of real-time tracking of vessels through high tech infrared cameras which can be utilized in drug trafficking surveillance.
- SHYC management is pursuing wind and water generation devices that would meet the self-sustaining needs of the Marina and foster the creation of additional energy.
- SHYC has switched from wood to eco-friendly, fiberglass composite pilings manufactured by Pearson Pilings which are stronger than wood, steel or concrete pilings and have a life span of 100-plus years because they do not rot or rust. In addition, these piling do not contain chemical preservatives that eventually leach into the water.
- Current pressure-treated wood decking is being replaced with Marine Hybrid Deck Panels, which are 100 percent recyclable, composed of 55 percent rice hulls and 45 percent recycled plastic.
- SHYC has contracted with Waste Management to provide recycling services, including two 90-gallon bins on property.
- Future plans for SHYC include possibility of creating a natural reef under SHYC docks as a wave attenuation device that will benefit Biscayne Bay.
“SHYC is setting a precedent in the marine industry by partnering with several organizations to implement stronger measures to protect the environment,” said Doug Mason, general manager of SHYC. “These socially responsible initiatives will not only reduce SHYC’s carbon footprint but preserve our waterways for future boating generations.”
Nestled on two acres along the beautiful Biscayne Bay, just a mile and a half north of Government cut, SHYC features fixed, concrete docks and 125 deep-water slips with 10′ depths to accommodate 45 to 150 ft. sport cruisers, sail boats, catamarans and mega yachts up to 65′ height.
SHYC offers a unique equity club membership program where owners and shareholders share a piece of the prime, waterfront real estate. In addition to their wet slips and a gated covered parking space, new buyers are granted membership privileges including use of private fitness center, heated Olympic-size pool, high power electrical service, fresh water, phone, internet digital satellite TV and a personal dock box.
About Sunset Harbour Yacht Club
Voted best marina of Miami Beach in 2008, 2009 and 2010 by the U.S. Local Business Association, the Sunset Harbour Yacht Club, located in the heart of South Beach, is a full service marina featuring 125 wet slips accommodating vessels from 45 to 160-plus feet. The member-owned slips are combined with two acres of prime waterfront property in an equity club membership program which includes a parking space and access to a fitness center with heated, Olympic-size pool. According to Superyachts.com, there is only one yacht club in the U.S. that ranks among the Best in the World: Miami’s Sunset Harbour Yacht Club. For more information, call General Manager Doug Mason at 305.398.6800, or visit https://sunsetharbouryc.com.